also known as Alappuzha, is one of the southernmost districts of Kerala. Covering an area of about 1,414 square kilometers, the district holds a population of around 1,990,603 people. Alleppy is most famous for its vast networks of backwaters.
In 1816 the Church Missionary Society set up its local headquarters in Alleppy. Now one can visit the church filled town of Kayamkulam. Alleppy is also the home to the first post office in Travancore, which was erected in 1851.